Thanks for visiting the Art of the Image blog. We've moved over to www.artoftheimage.com so this blog is no longer updated, but please feel free to peruse the articles and content here.

When you're finished, please visit us at www.artoftheimage.com for all the current blog posts and information. Thanks!!!

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Shooting The Canon G10 With An SB-26 Off Camera Flash



As I mentioned yesterday, I bought a Canon G10.

One of the great things about the G10 is the ability to use it with an external flash or Speedlight via the G10's hotshoe. You can either mount a Speedlight right on the hotshoe atop the G10, or you can use it as an off camera flash via a radio trigger and receiver.

So, one of the first things I did after the G10 Unboxing, was pop my radio trigger into the hotshoe and plug a receiver into one of my Nikon SB-26 Speedlights. I set the ISO to the Canon G10's base ISO of 80, put the shooting mode on manual, and started taking pictures.

Right from the start, I was amazed at how good the image quality is out of the Canon G10. At 80 ISO, the sensor is putting out just incredible quality images for a compact digital camera. Even at ISO 400 and ISO 800, the little G10 performs admirably. I found ISO 1600 to be a little too noisy, but I'd still use it if it meant either getting a photo or not getting it.

After my daughter had decided she'd had enough of Daddy taking pictures of her, I headed to the computer to see how things looked. I knew the G10 was capable of great quality images because I've seen a lot from friends and online, but I still have to say, I'm impressed.

I didn't think I'd be liking what I'm seeing out of my new Canon G10 as much as I am. Kicking it up a notch and using off camera lighting just makes things even sweeter! The G10 works great with a radio trigger, and the off camera lighting of the SB-26 just made the G10's images look even better.

Here's some examples. Click on the images for a larger photo.

If you're interested in seeing the full resolution jpgs, you can see them on my Flickr page at
Canon G10 With Off Camera Flash.









All the above images from my Canon G10, as well as the ones posted on Flickr, were shot in RAW and processed in Lightroom. The RAW files from the G10 are excellent, and Lightroom handles them very well.

I did a quick comparison of results from Canon DPP and Lightroom, and I found that I preferred Lightroom both for image quality and workflow. There's also no question that Lightroom is much faster than Canon DPP.

If you don't have Lightroom, Canon DPP is still an excellent option. DPP will get you the best image quality possible from your Canon G10 RAW files, or any Canon Digital Camera file for that matter. Lightroom is faster for workflow and has a lot more power when it comes to producing a finished image (i.e. grad filters, spot removal, color tweaking, sharpening, etc.), but DPP still gets the job done.

For more on Canon DPP, check out my article on Canon DPP Workflow, Lightroom vs Canon DPP, and Canon DPP - Digital Photo Professional for RAW and JPG.

CRANK UP YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY AWESOMENESS WITH A SPEEDLIGHT SOFTBOX

More on the Canon G10...

Developing Canon G10 RAW - Lightroom vs Canon DPP

Shooting the G10 at ISO 800 and ISO 1600

Closeup Pics Using Macro Mode On the Canon G10

Mrs. Ballard Shoots The Canon G10 - Straight Out Of Camera Jpegs

5 Reasons To Sell Your Canon G10 And Buy A G11

No comments: