Thanks for visiting the Art of the Image blog. We've moved over to www.artoftheimage.com so this blog is no longer updated, but please feel free to peruse the articles and content here.

When you're finished, please visit us at www.artoftheimage.com for all the current blog posts and information. Thanks!!!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Canon 70D - A 3 Month Review of the Canon EOS 70D by Gareth Davies

Photo by Gareth Davies

I upgraded to the Canon 70D from my 600D back in December. Most of the photography I do is of rugby games, so the 70D was the ideal choice - the 5D Mark III was too expensive and the 6D is not ideal for sports.

The biggest difference I found with the 70D was the focusing system.  The 19 point all cross type focusing system is wonderful - a big improvement over the 9 point with single cross type on the 600D.

The build quality of the camera is also very good. It's a lot sturdier than the 600D and it's a nice weight.

Since buying the camera I've photographed about 4 rugby games at my local amateur club where I'm really close to the action and a couple of public training sessions at Racing Metro, one of the leading clubs in the French Top 14. I now rarely have issues with the shots being out of focus - most of them are nice and sharp. I set it to use the centre focusing square which gives me the use of the 9 central focusing points. I use the Canon 70-200 f4 IS lens. The camera is really fast to focus and I rarely have problems tracking the players - in an average game I take maybe 700 photos, out of those maybe 5% having focusing issues, but most of these are when it was focused on the wrong player which is mostly down to myself trying to keep up with the play.


Having 7 fps burst rate is also really nice. The downside is I fill up my SD cards a lot more quickly than I used to!

The other photographer at the club uses a 7D and the same lens as myself. While I haven't done any comparisons between the two cameras, it does seem that the 70D handles itself very well against the 7D. I would say it's better at handling high ISO while my fellow photographer is rather upset that I have the touchscreen on the back.

The battery life on the camera is excellent - after shooting around 700 photos I will still have around 60 to 70% left on the battery.

So are there any drawbacks to the camera? A friend of mine has the Nikon 7100 and I do wish that I had a dual card slot. I understand that the 70D is not a professional camera, but if the 7100 can have 2 slots then why can't the Canon have them? The wifi is a nice feature but I hardly use it. For me the 20.2 megapixel sensor is big enough - some other cameras have more, but I find the quality is good. The ISO performance seems to be good, but I've not had a chance to compare it with the Nikon 7100 which I would like to do sometime.

The other possible issue with the 70D is the central focusing point. I hadn't noticed any issues with it myself, but after seeing the video by Matt I went out and took some portraits with a 50mm f1.8 lens. When shooting at f1.8 maybe 20% of the photos I took were not as sharp as they should be, and I do believe they were all taken at around 30 feet which seems to be the distance that most people say there's an issue. I also used the 70-200 for some shots and the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-f4 OS lens, I had no focusing issues at all on either of those lenses.  All the missed shots were on the 50mm.

Here are 2 RAW samples : https://www.dropbox.com/s/cp4eqj8yc0h4i69/IMG_7321.CR2 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/wdd2v3qw9wcubv7/IMG_7322.CR2 to show the possible focusing issue (but I wouldn't also discount it being me).

To be honest if I hadn't read of the other issues I would have put this down to my own skills and the fact I'm comparing a 100 euro lens to a 500 or 1,100 euro lens. However I will do some more testing to see how bad the issue is.

Overall I'm very happy with the camera and would recommend it to anybody looking for a crop sensor camera.

Score : 9/10

Gareth Davies
www.cymroinparis.com


*** Click Here To See OVER 196 Canon 70D User Reviews on Amazon.com ***

No comments: