Thanks for visiting the Art of the Image blog. We've moved over to www.artoftheimage.com so this blog is no longer updated, but please feel free to peruse the articles and content here.

When you're finished, please visit us at www.artoftheimage.com for all the current blog posts and information. Thanks!!!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nikon AF-F Continous Video Auto Focus



It's a mouthful, but I'm excited about Nikon's new AF-F Continous Video Auto Focus.

The Nikon D3100 will be the first of the new Nikon DSLR digital cameras to have it. The D3100 specs have it listed as full time servo AF, and it appears to be a contrast-detect AF.

Basically, this is gonna be HUGE for those of us that like to shoot video with our DSLR's!

The one thing I find very frustrating right now is that my Canon HF-200 digital camcorder can auto focus continually on moving subjects (and it does it VERY well), but my Nikon D90 and my Canon T2i can't. With the D90 or the T2i, you're basically stuck with manual focus for video unless your shooting a static or unmoving subject.

Not any longer!

The D3100 will be able to track a subject while shooting video. The new AF-F mode is ground-breaking in this regard. I may actually sell my Canon HF-200!

It'll be interesting to see just how well the new AF-F Continous Video Auto Focus works. I'm thinking it should be at least the equal of a camcorder, and hopefully, maybe even a little better.

It'll also be interesting to see just how fast Canon, Sony, and the other DSLR players can respond to this. They'll want to move fast as this is no small thing. Those that shoot video with their DSLR's will want this feature big time, and if Nikon is the only player in the market that has it, you can guess what that'll do to market share.

I'll be first in line at my local camera store to get my hands on a Nikon D3100, so I'll let you know how the AF-F measures up just as soon as I've had a chance to play. Hopefully, it'll be everything I imagine, and maybe even a little more!

Related posts...


No comments: